»

Jan 6, 2011

Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn

Censorship is in the news...and it got me to thinkn'.

"I wrote 'Tom Sawyer' and 'Huck Finn' for adults exclusively, and it always distressed me when I find that boys and girls have been allowed access to them. The mind that becomes soiled in youth can never again be washed clean."
-Mark Twain



It seems to me that an obvious question to ponder when discussing the above quote is what Samuel Langhorne Clemens meant by "adult"...and..... by "boys & girls. "


It was the turn of the century.

Context.

It should matter.


"Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it."
-- Mark Twain

Reading (click) Tom Sawyer with our (older) girls stands out as one of my all time favorite home-educating seasons of all time.

(Click)Memories of it's brilliance have stayed with me
. Lingering. I hope they have stayed with them.

I wonder how long it is before someone messes with Roll of Thunder Hear My Cry...To Kill A Mockingbird...Uncle Tom's Cabin.....A Tree Grows in Brooklyn...The Courage of Sarah Noble...........

What... if anything should be censored? And...BIG QUESTION HERE....by whom?

0 comments: