»

Feb 27, 2009

K-2 Literature Unit @ Co-Op

Although I do not consider myself a "Sonlight" gal (I had a near nervous break down after receiving my first teacher's manual.....waaaaaaay too structured for this hippieish home-educator)...I do love their core philosphy.... introduced to me 8 years ago?????

www.sonlight.com





This little heroine is naughty, naughty, naughty. She didn't appreciate the lima beans that her mother had prepared for her.....so we did a dry bean craft...creating the grumpiest faces we could. We talked a lot about her choices and if she learned her lesson by the end of the story.


We even played w/fire (supervised activity :)



Ohhhhh......such a grumpy sassy pants....that Alexander is! He is ungrateful for a perfectly nice new pair of white shoes. We decided to design our own dream pair....reminding ourselves that it's alright to have a preference about things like sneakers but that we should be grateful for whatever the Lord provides.






Walter, Walter, Walter....his poor choice takes so many innocent people down with him....or does it??????? By the end of the story, Walter seems to have learned his lesson after all.



____________________________________________
Here at home....we continued the unit w/Eloise....a perfect picture of an exasperated child. She reminds me very much of a female Dennis the Menace or Tom Sawyer. I have loved her since I was a child and I still do. We already owned the book and were thrilled to find the doll at Savers for $1.99 BRAND NEW!



And this afternoon we are hanging out on a farm with some horses....so this morning Zion (and the older girls too) are watching Flicker. Katy is another girl some find naughty....but I see her as exasperated and fascinating. I love her strength and determination and I love the lessons she teaches and the change she ultimately ushers in.

5 comments:

Ginger said...

you know I love it

emma claire said...

fun!

I love flicka!! It is a great movie

Sean's Ladies said...

LOL. Eloise is still vetoed here.

Mrs. Spice (Holly) said...

Can I be in your class? I will even eat your Lima beans.

familygregg said...

LOL! My kids looooooove lima beans.
C U fri :)