»

Apr 18, 2007

Lifting Virginia Tech ...


As my boys and I were driving the other day...I reflected on the events of 911. I asked if it ever entered their minds... that three airplanes, used as missiles...filled with people...
mothers....fathers....brothers....sisters...sons...daughters...husbands...
wives...grandparents...friends...went down. That buildings...very, very tall buildings went down. That thousands died on one day because of an act of terror committed on American soil. That they actually lived through a moment in time that will forever be written into the history books. It seems that 911 is with me always. It's not that it actually crosses my mind everyday but that it's part of my consciousness...part of a new reality. I don't believe I'll ever be able to get onto a plane again without considering the events of that day and I am unable to process my childhood landscape with an altered skyline. It just doesn't make any sense. The boys admitted that they don't really think about 911 as a reality...that somehow...it seems like a movie they saw...like an episode of a television show. You know ....The Day After Tomorrow or War of the Worlds... something Jack Bauerish or something.

So this week...we are faced with the reality of the Virginia Tech tragedy. The boys heard something...but they don't know the details...so I explain what has happened. I see a brief moment of realization...but it is brief. Almost instantaneously...they are onto the next thing. Why am I glued to Fox News...transfixed and unable to be distracted from the horrific events.... when they are able to move on with their day without a second glance back? As I've thought about this over the last 48 hours or so...I realize that I do in fact have very sensitive boys. After Columbine...I was late in picking up the boys from piano lessons by about 15 minutes. When I finally arrived, little Mcabe was besides himself with grief because he thought I had been killed knowing I was at "the library." I've seen them mourn losses and cry over personal sin. I know they are deeply concerned for the salvation of family members and friends. When it hits close to home...they are very sensitive.
But, sadly...they have grown up in a world where global/ national/and local violence and bad news are a way of life. They have never lived in a place... like I did... where planes were planes...big buildings were strong, and every hostage was released. They have never lived in a world where Star Wars was the closest thing you had to high tech warfare...or where double decker buses, subways or school campuses were safe. So if they never had it... of course they do not feel the loss... as deeply... as we who have had it.... do. I pray for our children...because they too one day will feel a sense of loss as we do now...and when I look at their starting point...at what is normal for them...and think of what the world is coming to...I can't even imagine. Lord, Come Quickly!

0 comments: