»

Dec 13, 2007

Me, Myself, and Bob

So this cute little book about a guy and a tomato has been used to bring deep conviction.

That little whisper- "You deserve it" - comes, I believe, from the worst part of our sinful natures, the part that always wants another cookie, a bigger house, a nicer TV. I'm pretty sure it's the same voice that told Hitler he "deserved" Poland.

What do I really deserve? Death. That's what I deserve. Death apart from God. I am a selfish dweeb standing before a holy, righteous God. Imagine me trying to explain to God why I "deserve" a nicer car than the guy next to me. "Well, I've worked so hard, and - as I'm sure you can see - I'm very successful." Ha. good one. Seeking your own comfort over the comfort of others is a pretty good definition of the word sin.

Phil Vischer

My ambition, my dreams, my misplaced sense of identity and value were dragged kicking and screaming up onto the altar. And now they were dead. I realized this when I heard myself say to my wife one night, "I don't want to write anything." I was ready to be done, if that's what God wanted. To just rest in him and let everything else fall away. At long last, after a lifetime of striving, God was enough. Not God and impact or God and ministry. Just God.

Phil Vischer

0 comments: