»

Nov 15, 2009

UPDATE:

I am so smart. I figured out where the question came from.

We were at the park mingling with our group. Next to us...was another group. A large group celebrating a child's birthday. Maybe 40 people. All speaking spanish....having what looked to be a wonderful time.

At a certain point...a pinata was raised and all the kids at the birthday party took turns swinging at it...blindfolded and helped by adults.

In my experience....pinatas come in all shapes and sizes. Kermit the Frog...Sponge Bob...Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles...etc.

This pinata... that all the kids at the party were swinging at.... was different though. It was a princess pinata. The princess was very pretty and had long golden hair. The children were swinging bats at a beautiful blond princess pinata.

I though it was strange...a bit off but I never mentioned anything to anyone. Someone in our group commented on the oddness of the scene taking place a few feet away. Just then, an adorable little blindfolded spanish speaking boy was abusing the beautiful blond princess pinata as an older spanish speaking man was cheering him on.

I can only imagine what was going through Zion's mind.

Aside from beating the beautiful blond princess with a stick while laughing and pulling her limb from limb so as to get at all her candy...this family seemed like a really sweet bunch.

Odd pinata choice.

_________________________

Zion blows me away when she is just being Zion.

Recently, we are standing around doing nothing much with a whole bunch of people whom we do not know..... when she gives me the "Mom, come here" look. Her cute little 6 year old head motions kinda sorta subtly (kinda sorta obviously) for me to come closer.

My first thought...she must have to go to the bathroom.

Nope.

She whispers in my ear....in the sweetest, most docile, confused voice possible "Why are Mexicans not allowed across America's border again?"

I pause. Did I just hear her right? What could possible have brought this question up now? In this setting?

I look around.

We are surrounded by a variety of faces...shades...ethnicities. There is a Native American looking guy (I think????) who might pass for Mexican???????

"What, Zion?

"Mexican people...why aren't they allowed to come over America's borders?"

She is waiting for my response. Patiently.

Why are you asking?"...I ask.

She shrugs her shoulders. "No reason. It's just one of my questions."

"One of your questions?"

Yeah, you know....like how did people make tools before there were tools?"

All I could do was laugh and tell her we'd talk about it later. I gave her a kiss and sent her off to play...silently thanking the Lord for this deep thinking, sensitive, and articulate daughter.

Our family has spent much time in Mexico. All sorts of different places in Mexico. We have crossed many borders over the years. Back and forth...in and out.

Bradley and Mcabe have recently travelled to Costa Rica and Tijuana and Bria is currently in Puerto Penasco doing some missions work....maybe all these journeys have her mind going?????

She accompanied me on a walk-thru for the Quinceanera I shot this week-end. We talked a little bit about the traditions and significance of this cultural event in a young girl's life. She heard it told that many multi-generational family members would be coming all the way from Mexico to help celebrate this very special birthday.

I'm wondering if in her mind she thought they would all be breaking the law by attending?????

And, if her mother was turning a blind eye and calling their "questionable activity" a good thing?????
_____________________________________

When we get some quiet time...I make sure that Zion understands to the best of her ability the enormous illegal immigration problem we face as a nation and that not all Mexican folks cross our borders illegally...and that not all illegal immigrants are from Mexico.

"Ohhhhh. Nooooooow I get it. That makes sense," is her response.

_____________________________________
Lou Dobbs was up for discussion this week. And...our television...if it's not tuned into the Food Network or Project Runway...well then it's probably turned to Fox News.


We talked politics around the dinner table growing up. And we talked about ethics, morality, and all sorts of social issues.

I'm pretty sure it contributed to who I am today (good or/& bad...depending on how you look at it.)

0 comments: