»

Feb 24, 2008

When I ponder the relationships the Lord has provided...I obviously desire to dig in deeper with the ones that spur me on to Godliness. The difficult ones.....I usually try to dig in. Try again....and maybe even again. Then, if things remain difficult and drag me down....I kick, scream, cry, carry on a bit....and eventually wind up alright with the notion of brushing the dust from my feet and moving on. I consider that the intended purposes for these relationships might not be what I had originally thought...but always hold out hope that the Lord will work in these situations and either grow new sprouts from deep, long forgotten roots or ....plant brand new seeds.....which eventually take hold.

It's difficult for me to teach this lesson to my children....... without my feeling hurt..... for their growing pains in this area. How do you tell a daughter that.... for the time being .....she needs to stop trying with that certain someone? How do you explain that she's continually coming up against a stone-walled heart? That she is fine in this situation and can do no more to change it. That it's the Lord who must do the breaking through. How do you help her to see that her value is not found in that empty, barren place? That if she continues in this way....maybe this relationship is an idol of hers?

I teach her by example. She knows the relationships in my life that "push my buttons" and the ones that break my heart. I'm truthful about my struggles and she knows who I turn to for help in navigating the storms.

3 comments:

Susan G said...

Wow. that is so hard. I wish I had that one down pat too!

We love you guys!
Sus

A Musing Mom said...

What happened?!

Angelia Ditterbug said...

I wish I always looked at the "up side" of challenges the way you do. Strep makes me cringe....as it always seems to make two or three rounds in our family before finally surrendering.